A little twist on the original Middle Eastern dish, this salad uses semolina grain cooked in lemon as its base, to then be mixed with tomato sauce and fresh herbs and vegetables! Perfect served cold to accompany some hummus or falafels, this dish will surely leave you feeling light yet satisfied 😉
- 1 pack of semolina/ couscous (500g)
- 5 fresh lemons juiced (not limes!)
- 1 jar/can tomato sauce (plain)
- 2 medium bell peppers (change up the colors! 😉
- 2 large cucumbers seedless*
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful coriander (fresh)
- 1 small handful mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- In a large bowl, pour your semolina.
- Add in your lemon juice and olive oil and mix well (for this step, use 2 spoons rather than 1)
- Now, incorporate the tomato sauce and mix again.
- Lastly, add in your diced onion and all of the vegetables.
- Thinly slice your herbs into small pieces and add to the plate.
- IMPORTANT: the semolina is meant to ‘cook’ in the lemon juice, so it must be given time to ‘rest’. For this reason, refrigerate your dish for a minimum of 2 hours before serving!