This simple and comforting pasta sauce recipe is perfect for the days when you crave comfort food yet still want to eat something nourishing. Made out of simple ingredients, the recipe comes very flexible with optional ingredients and easy substitutions, to make sure that you can enjoy this with what you most-likely have on hand 🙂
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 carrots grated or chopped
- 2 stalks/ ribs of celery chopped
- 1 pack of brown lentils (450 g)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (425 g)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (425 g)
- 1 cup of mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 1 handful of walnuts chopped (optional)
- 1 handful of olives (optional)
* herbs & seasonings:
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of chili flakes
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Start by diluting your vegetable stock in some boiling water. Once dissolved, place a couple tablespoons to a large pot and place on medium heat. Proceed by sautéing your onion and garlic along with your herbs and spices, until fragrant and translucent.
- In the meantime, rinse the packaged lentils and check them thoroughly for any rocks/ debris. Then, add them to your pot along with the chopped carrot, celery, mushrooms, walnuts and olives.
- After giving that a good stir, add in both the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, along with the remainder of the veggie stock.
- Cover with lid and allow to cook on low-medium heat for about 45mins- 1 hour (until the lentils are cooked thoroughly- not firm).
- Serve hot over pasta of choice or enjoy as is!